1. I am, I discover, a very untidy man. Restoration - Rose Tremain
2. The motto was 'Pax' but the word was set in a circle of thorns. In This House of Brede - Rumer Godden
3. Let the reader be introduced to Lady Carbury, upon whose character and doings much will depend of whatever interest these pages may have, as she sits at her writing-table in her own room in her own house in Welbeck Street. The Way We Live Now - Anthony Trollope He wrote so many good ones, it was hard to chose just the one.
4. Lest anyone should suppose I am a son of nobody, sold off by some peasant father in a drought year, I may say our line is an old one, though it ends with me. The Persian Boy - Mary Renault, correctly identified by kathyh
5.1801. - I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte correctly identified by calove
6.It was a nice day. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman This is the one I re-read each year.
7. Miss Brooke had that kind of beauty which seems to be thrown into relief by poor dress. Middlemarch - George Eliot, correctly identified by kathyh
8. Aristotle contemplating the bust of Homer thought often of Socrates while Rembrandt dressed him with paint in a white Renaissance surplice and a medieval black robe and encased him in shadows. Picture This - Joseph Heller
9. 'The Bottoms' succeeded to 'Hell Row'. Sons and Lovers - D.H.:Lawrence
10 The family of Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen, correctly identified by kathyh>