Couldn't stop at just one book, could I, especially as MWNN was paying (my piggy bank being empty due to recent purchase of new laptop.) Came home with
* Mary Stewart's The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Legend re-told)
* Peter Ackroyd's First Light
* Dodie Smith's I Captured the Castle
* Kate Atkinson's Emotionally Weird
* George Gissing's The Odd Women
* Wendy Perrian's Devils for a Change
I started this last one, having just finished Rumer Godden's In This House of Brede, which was about a 40 something career woman's entry into a contemplative order in Norfolk. Devils for a Change is about a 39 year old woman's exit from a contemplative order in Norfolk, after 20 years. It's compelling reading. I'm, half way through already, after just one night's bedtime reading.
Finally, thanks bellinghwoman. The Gala Dinner invite arrived this am.
jennylyle your very colourful postcard from Oz for my Special Board arrived on the same post.
Happy Birthday staceyuk